Location: Stikine – Dease Lake
Lakes District Maintenance Inc. is seeking a Trade Apprentice – Bridgeworker.
This Apprenticeship position ends when the apprenticeship is completed.
This position is either under the supervision and direction of an immediate trade-related supervisor or the supervision and general direction of a non-trade related supervisor, and under the guidance of a journeyman and / or other qualified employee in an assigned work group. Duties include performing work and related tasks under supervised practice and instruction as well as attendance and completion of vocational training as scheduled by the Ministry of Labour, and other specialized training as may be scheduled by the employer. This work includes maintenance and construction of bridges, culverts, ferry landings, equipment sheds and other buildings. The work also icludes performing other similar or lower classification duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalency as required for entry into apprenticeship vocational training for the respective trade. Preferably completion of pre-apprenticeship training related to the trade in which indentured and employed.
- Experience as Bridgeworker is preferred.
- Hold a valid BC Driver’s Licence of the appropriate class required to carry out related trade functions (minimum Class 3 with air brake endorsement, Class 1 preferred).
- Aptitude and capability to learn and develop the skills and abilities of the trade in which they are indentured.
- Ability to work in conjunction with other employees and take specific direction and instructions from journeyman and / or other qualified employees they are assigned to work with.
- Ability to understand and comply with Lakes District Maintenance Inc.’s Quality Management System and Company Policies and Procedures.
- Must have an awareness of environmental issues as it relates to highways and bridge maintenance.
Required Abilities and Skills:
- Safety conscious
- Aptitude and capability in the performance of specific trade functions without direct trade supervision.
- Ability to follow instructions and direction promptly and efficiently.
- Ability to work in conjunction with other employees, and/or to periodically direct the efforts of another employee assigned to assist them.
- Physically and mentally compatible with the work involved and able to work under the rigors of the job.
- Probationary period of 30 working days for new hires or promoted employees.
- All employees are expected to adhere to all safety regulations at all times.
- The duties require outside work in all weather conditions and irregular hours due to emergencies. Weekend and shift work may be required.
- This position may be required to join in regular road operations at all times, especially in winter.
- This position is not a regular position and does not ensure employment with the company at completion of the apprenticeship.
- This position will require a supply of personal carpentry hand tools.
THIS JOB SPECIFICATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO IMPLY THAT THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE STANDARDS OF THE POSITION. INCUMBENTS WILL FOLLOW ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS AND PERFORM ANY OTHER RELATED DUTIES, AS MAY BE REQUIRED.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
or via fax to 250-692-3930